Monday, April 16, 2012

Columbia Gorge Itinerary Suggestion?

I would like to plan a day trip to the Columbia Gorge. I will be taking my parents, who are honored citizens that do not want to do much walking (not more than 1/2 a mile, paved), particularly at inclines.





I know a must do is probably Vista House, and from what I recall one time I drove out and was able to see several waterfalls (not just Multnomah) along the Old Columbia Highway (don%26#39;t remember how I got to it) without much walking. I think they included Latourrel and Bridal Veil, but I think there are suppoesd to be others?





What sort of itinerary would you suggest, and what stops? They have never been to the Northwest except for Seattle during a long weekend.





Thanks!



Columbia Gorge Itinerary Suggestion?


Heading east on I-84 from Portland, take exit 22, and follow the signs to the Historic Columbia River Highway: columbiariverhighway.com/historic_columbia_r鈥?/a> .





First good stop is Women%26#39;s Forum Overlook; no walking involved here. Besides Multnomah, probably my favorite stop is Wahkeenah Falls, where there%26#39;s a little creek tumbling down the hillside from the falls above. It%26#39;s about 1/4 mile up to it, and a bit of an incline, but the reason I like it is that you can get within a few feet of the falls. Horsetail would be another where you wouldn%26#39;t have to walk but a few feet to see it.



Columbia Gorge Itinerary Suggestion?


If you are heading all the way to Hood River, I recommend spending an hour or so watching the surfers and kiters from Event Park. It is a great thing to do on a sunny day!





As you drive along the old highway you can stop and view several falls along the way. Just pull over when you see one and get out and go look.





Bonneville Dam and the fish hatchery with Sturgeon ponds are also a nice stop.




Mistletoe had some great suggestions.





You don%26#39;t say when you are traveling, but if it is over a weekend and the weather is halfway nice, make sure to get an early start as it can get crowded if the weather is nice.





Wahkeena is much more than an incline, keep in mind all the waterfalls are all uphill. Though, it is a short walk up to the bridge. The trail is in pretty bad condition at the top.





Latourell Falls is another nice stop, with an easy, short trail to see the falls. They just opened up the tunnel at Oneonta Gorge and added more parking there. Which is a nice short walk.





Also agree with the suggestion of the Fish Hatchery at Bonneville Dam. This historic grounds are beautiful. Take some quarters and feed the fish. There is a cute little gift shop there as well.





Are you planning on just going to Hood River, or are you going to do the loop around Mt. Hood?





If you are going to Hood River, I suggest making some stops along the Fruit Loop. Again you don%26#39;t state what time of year you will be here. But you should find something for everyone.




Thanks so much for everyone%26#39;s suggestions. We will be going on a weekday, so hopefully we will not encounter any crowds at all. They will be here during the week before Memorial Day weekend, but will be going to Vancouver for the actual weekend.





I didn%26#39;t even think of making it a round-trip- each time I%26#39;ve gone to the area I have been turning around and driving back to Portland after a late lunch at Multnomah or Edgefield. Both times I went it was during the winter, so I didn%26#39;t think there was anything else to see...




On a weekday you shouldn%26#39;t have many problems at all with crowds. Usually that is when I go to avoid the crowds.





If you have the time, I would really suggest doing the loop around Mt. Hood, especially if you are dedicating the whole day to the trip. You will see all kinds of beautiful scenery that is unique to the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment