Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Little more help with our roadtrip?..........

I%26#39;m trying to arrange an itinerary for a quick roadtrip. I think we%26#39;ve decided on leaving Vancouver (BC), early Monday morning (in May). Making our way down the 101 to Cannon Beach. Stay there Monday night. Get to Portland @ some point Tuesday %26amp; stay Tuesday/Wednesday night (we can%26#39;t do the Saturday and I really wanted to go to the market but I see there%26#39;s one on Wednesdays, so thought I%26#39;d make sure we%26#39;re in town for that). Head back to Vancouver on Thursday. Too much driving? Enough time to see a fair bit? Any suggestions on the driving route? Thank-you.



Little more help with our roadtrip?..........


Since you see very little of the coastline from 101 in WA, I suggest staying on I-5 until Kelso, and crossing the Columbia at Longview to hwy 30, then west to Astoria. It%26#39;s about 4 hours +/- from Seattle to Cannon Beach via this route. You chose Cannon Beach because of Ecola State Park?





If you have time on Tuesday, consider driving down 101 to Tillamook, and taking the northern section of Three Capes Scenic Loop, in particular stopping at Cape Meares State Park. Beautiful views from there. You could then take hwy 6 to Portland, about a 90 minute drive from Tillamook.





I note you%26#39;re interested in outlet shopping, so to confirm what I think voyaging wrote, Woodburn Outlets are the best in Portland, if not Oregon. They%26#39;re 25-30 miles south of the city.





Yes, it is a lot of driving for just a few days, but you seem to know what you%26#39;re in for.



Little more help with our roadtrip?..........


Check carefully for lodging in CAnnon Beach, as many places there have two night minimums, and May is well into busy season.






mistletoe- Thank you sooo much for the specifics! Thank you thank you. I%26#39;ve never heard of Ecola State Park. Just heard so many good things about Cannon Beach %26amp; I want to see the coast, so I thought why not? The place I spoke with yesterday is Ecola Creek Lodge though, and they have a great price point %26amp; seem decent enough? Have you heard anything about them?





half-Brit- It seems fine to get away with one night right now, guess I%26#39;m going to squeeze in before the peak season=)




Here are the reviews for Ecola Creek Lodge. They have a nice location:



tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g51790-d1223鈥?/a>




Yeah, I don%26#39;t believe minimum stay requirements start until Memorial Day Weekend, or even mid-June for some places.





I%26#39;ve never stayed in Ecola Creek Lodge, but driven by a million times. It%26#39;s on a busy intersection (for Cannon Beach anyway), but a short walk from the center of downtown, or the beach. I like that it%26#39;s at the north end of town, where the beach is more quiet; bit of a hike to Haystack Rock, though. And you%26#39;ll get your feet wet. If we didn%26#39;t have other favorite places to stay in Cannon Beach, I wouldn%26#39;t hesitate choosing Ecola Creek.




Ecola Creek Lodge is a very nice property and in a good location, you can walk to downtown Cannon Beach from there, the bunnies are cute that hang out around the hotel. When you go to Ecola, take the scenic drive back to Indian Beach. www.cannon-beach.net is a nice website for this area. Have fun! :)




We stayed at ECL, quiet, clean, more PNW style rather than new and boxy plastic. Yes, rabbits and, when we were there about a month ago, elk outside the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment