Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Memorial Day

I mistakenly posted (my first time) on the Crater lake forum yesterday, so please excuse the repost.



We did decide to come out May 21-May 25 to celebrate my 40th birthday!!! I have been to the Oregon coast / Mt. Hood / Columbia River area 7 years ago, and am looking forward to returning. I love the coast but also want to get in some mountain time, waterfalls and hiking. We don%26#39;t want to spend all our time driving, but also want to see as much as we can during our short trip.



My current thinking is to leave the airport, go along the Columbia River, up to Mt. Hood area then come down into the central cascades and drive over to the coast.



I have not been in the Central cascades / Three sisters wilderness area before. My prior trip was northern to the mid coast (I think we went as far down as Yachats).



Any suggestions would be much appreciated!





Memorial Day


I guess my Silver Falls suggestion didn%26#39;t fall on receptive ears. You will find the Cascades deep in snow, with only the primary passes (Santiam and Willamette) open this time of year.



If you come over Santiam (#20), turn off at #126, which goes immediately by Clear Lake and Sahalie Falls (powerful, must see, and right on highway) and follows the beautiful McKenzie River right into Eugene/Springfield. 126 will take you on to the coast, culminating at Florence. Enroute, you might want to take time for Kentucky Falls and Sweet Creek Falls.



If you come over Willamette Pass, Salt Creek Falls is the second highest waterfall in the state (after Multnomah), but the parking area is at the top of the falls and snow might still be blocking any of the trails that will offer better views.


  • blue eyeshadow
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment