Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Staying at Timberline-is that feasible for this area?

We currently have a reservation (3 nights in July) at the Timberline lodge and thought we would use that as ';homebase'; for exploring/hiking Mt. Hood, Hood River/Columbia River gorge areas. Is this a decent plan or would it be better to stay at a place like Skamania Lodge? Thanks.



Staying at Timberline-is that feasible for this area?


I would recommend splitting your time. Timberline is great, but I wouldn%26#39;t want to stay for 3 nights unless I was sticking to the Mt. Hood area. It isn%26#39;t all that far from the gorge, but there are so many options closer in the gorge that it would make more sense to do that, IMO.



Staying at Timberline-is that feasible for this area?


thank you. I did make a reservation at Skamania Lodge, so maybe we will do 2 nights at each. About how long is the drive from Timberline to the gorge area?




I%26#39;m not sure of the travel time betw. Timberline and Skamania, but wanted to confirm that 2 days at each and the drive between will be a great trip! It%26#39;s a beautiful drive up to Timberline and also down to Hood river, the Gorge and to Skamania Lodge. Have a great trip!





(My grandfather was a woodworker on historic Timberline%26#39;s interior long ago, so it is very special to our family)




The drive would be just over an hour or so. Really pretty drive, and I think your idea of 2 nights at each would be great:)




I agree with Mtngrl - it really is a beautiful drive. I am glad she answered on how long it is. Every time I do it I am too busy looking at the scenery to pay attention to how long it takes.





Not sure what room you booked at Skamania, but, I stayed there recently and wrote a review. Let me know if you have any more questions on the place. Make sure to check out the outdoor hot tub!!




Thank you all for your help. We will definately do 2 nights at each as it sounds like both locations are ';not to me missed';. About our room at Skamania - we booked a woodland suite - it doesn%26#39;t have a view of the river but it was the only suite left!




mahjerle--I know, I too am usually too busy checking out the scenery to pay attention. But when we went up there snowshoeing the other week we got a late start and so I was impatiently looking at the clock, lol!




Well, hopefully you will not be spending a ton of time in your room, so the view won%26#39;t matter. There are plenty of places around the lodge to get a great view of the river!!





Mtngrl: I try not to be in a hurry when we are doing that drive. Most of the time I am too full off the goodies I have picked up from the farm stands, so I am just kicking back and relaxing, enjoying the view!!

No comments:

Post a Comment