Monday, April 16, 2012

Columbia River Gorge Drive

I am not sure which forum this topic belongs to, but here goes.

From reading the forum, it seems that a fun idea would be to take a picnic lunch to one of the beautiful waterfalls.

Driving from PDX, where would be the logical place to obtain great sandwiches? I have looked on the Restaurant Reviews (along the way), and it seems that none have been rated.

Any help would be appreciated.

Columbia River Gorge Drive

My husband and I used to do this. We also sometimes stopped at Rooster Rock on the Columbia for our picnic.

I might have some ideas for you but I need to know where you are starting your drive. From downtown Portland or other location?

Columbia River Gorge Drive

We will be flying into the Portland Airport, landing around 11:30 am.

I would really like to find a place ';on the way';, as we would like to have as much time as possible for the drive. Tnanks.


I think your best bet is www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=3%26id=30

Look at the menu of the various restaurants at Edgefield Manor. It is 18 miles from Multnomah Falls.

Another option is to simply eat at Multnomah Falls Lodge. The restaurant is open for lunch Tuesday through Saturday. On Sunday they have a brunch. Good idea to make reservations.

multnomahfallslodge.com/鈥?0restaurant.htm


Thanks for your speedy reply.

I did check Mcmenamins, and unless I have overlooked something, it seems that the restaurants are more eat in and less take out. I was really looking for a good deli.

The menu at Multnomah Falls looks fine. If we cannot locate a picnic, then maybe this will be the answer.

Thanks again


Yes, I agree a picnic lunch to one of the waterfalls is a good idea. Wahkeena Falls has a great picnic area with a stream running through it. If the weather is kind of iffy, they have a covered picnic shelter as well.

Try Lyn%26#39;s Cafe on the historic highway in Downtown Troutdale. There is also the Troutdale General Store. There should be plenty of places in Downtown Troutdale to choose from.

To be honest, when I do a picnic lunch, I usually stop at the deli at Safeway and get a few sandwiches there. They have a pretty good selection, and I can usually pick up anything else I need for a picnic there.


I was trying to remember if there was a Safeway on the way, lol. They%26#39;ll customize their standard sandwiches and of course have a big drink selection, plus chips, fruit, candy bars or whatever you want :-)


The closes Safeway is at 242nd and Glisan (Wood Village exit, turn right and go to the top of the hill, on the left). If you sign up for their discount card, not only will you save money on your groceries, but after you can stop at their gas station there and gas up at a discount as well. They usually have pretty cheap gas, and the line there proves it. Then it is a real easy to get to the historic highway from there. Assuming OP would want to go with that option.


Thanks again to all replies.

Looks like Safeway must be the place. Thanks for the tip, Mahjerle, on the Safeway Membership card. I am not familiar with the store, so that helps.

I am surprised that none of the small sandwich/deli restaurants in the area had been reviewed.


What a great question. I usually either make stuff at home or do a last minute stop at that place in Corbett, but they have mostly prepackaged stuff.

What about this place:

http://www.harrysfreshdeli.com/

Anyone ever been there?


Oregone,

I did look at Harrys, but once again, not one review from TripAdvisor. Is this area just kinda ';no mans land';?

  • i own a problem near my computer
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment