Monday, April 16, 2012

First Time Visitor

My husband and I are looking forward to a first time visit to Portland June 12-18. We are flying in to Portland and hope to catch a baseball game Friday night and take a day trip to the Columbia Gorge area the next day. We would like to spend the rest of our trip on the coast, mostly in the Seaside and Cannon Beach area and then south to Newport, stopping at Tillamook and Deport Bay. Then back to Portland to fly out on Thursday.





Does this itinerary sound feasable? I think we would stay a couple of nights in Seaside (seems less expensive) and spend time seeing the beautiful scenery and taking hikes. It covers my husband%26#39;s favorite activities (baseball and hiking) and mine (lighthouses and cheese, not necessarily in that order)





Appreciate any input on hotels or other travel advice. Living in Oklahoma, we are acustomed to weather changes so we will pack accordingly.





Thanks



First Time Visitor


I think your trip sounds very doable.





As far as lodging on the north coast, I would think that it would be less expensive to stay in Seaside, over Cannon Beach. I honest cannot give input there as I always stay in Gearhart. You might want to check out Gerhart by the Sea. http://www.gearhartresort.com/.





I always stay in a unit that is not in the rental pool, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, $105 a night. Pretty much a no brainer no matter how many people are with me.





As a disclaimer, I do not have any ownership interest in this property, I have simply stayed there many times over the past 20 or so years. My parents owned a house, on the other side of the golf course, prior to my birth, so it always feels like ';family'; to stay in Gearhart.



First Time Visitor


%26gt;%26gt;I always stay in a unit that is not in the rental pool, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, $105 a night. Pretty much a no brainer no matter how many people are with me.%26lt;%26lt;



So if it%26#39;s not in the ';rental pool';, how would a visitor to Gearhart rent it?




%26lt;%26lt;I always stay in a unit that is not in the rental pool, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, $105 a night. Pretty much a no brainer no matter how many people are with me.%26gt;%26gt;





So if it%26#39;s not in the ';rental pool';, how would a visitor to Gearhart rent it?



%26gt;%26gt;





They wouldn%26#39;t, which is why I did not detail the costs. I did look at the main website, and one can rent a 2 bedroom unit for as low as $122 a night.




%26gt;%26gt;They wouldn%26#39;t, which is why I did not detail the costs.%26lt;%26lt;



So this $105 bargain for a 3 bed/2 bath is not available to ';just anybody';.




%26lt;%26lt;%26gt;%26gt;They wouldn%26#39;t, which is why I did not detail the costs.%26lt;%26lt;





So this $105 bargain for a 3 bed/2 bath is not available to ';just anybody';.%26gt;%26gt;







I NEVER said that it was. You are now trying to put words into my posts that were not there. Again, note, I posted that one could go through the rental pool for $122 a night. A great bargain for 2 bedrooms.




Hi, we have a beach cottage in Seaside, so I know the area very well. You may want to consider the Rivertide Suites for lodging, just a short walk to the ocean and the rooms are beautiful. There is an indoor pool here, also. For lodging in the Prom, check out the Hi-Tide, Ebb-Tide, Inn of the Four Winds or the Shilo Oceanfront @ the Turnaround. For a nice Bed and Breakfast, the Gilbert Inn is a good choice, about a block from the ocean. www.seasideor.com Have fun on your trip and let me know if you have any specific questions about the Seaside area. :)




O.K., PDX and HB, let%26#39;s quit %26#39;nit-picking%26#39; and give the OP some definite answers here.





Yes, your itinerary sounds quite feasable. Seaside sounds good. Lots of options there for accomodations. Seaside, Cannon Beach and Ecola State Park offer some good hiking.





Tillamook has two cheese factories--Tillamook Cheese and the Blue Heron French Cheese.





You might want to take the Three Capes Drive from Tillamook to Pacific City. Highway 101 turns inland at Tillamook and the Capes drive takes you to some nice ocean viewpoints.





Two lighthouses at Newport--Yaquina Bay and Yaquina Head--both open for tours. There is also a natural area adjacent to the Yaquina Head lighthouse where you can view tide pools. Be sure to go there at low tide.





By the way, it%26#39;s Depoe Bay. :-)




While in the Tillamook area, don%26#39;t miss Cape Lookout State Park, a very nice place for a picnic with some gorgeous scenery! :)




What is your lodging budget, number50KC, and what type of lodging are you looking for?



Here is an oceanfront place in Seaside that is very reasonably priced and away from a lot of the noisy congestion. It is an older and refurbished although I have never stayed there.



http://seasidelanai.com/



Do you prefer very small towns or larger towns with more going on? If the former, you might consider Yachats instead of Newport. It is located about 30-35 minutes south on a straight, fast stretch of Hwy 101.



http://www.oregoncoasttravel.net/



http://www.nwcoast.com/lighthouses/oregon.asp



http://discovernewport.com/



*



Kitters, you are right, but I do get tired of hearing about that fantastic *3* bedroom bargain vacation house for only $105 that is not available for rent ;-)




Thanks for the suggestions, I will check out the websites you mentioned. We like to stay in inexpensive but clean hotels, breakfast would be a plus but not a deal breaker. We ususally just use the room for sleeping and showering, we like to stay out all day and play on vacations. Between airfare and rental car, not much left in savings for a fancy oceanfront room. I found a Microtel in Seaside for 79.00, does anyone know about that hotel? We also need to book hotels in Portland, should I post on another forum for that information?





All the pictures of Oregon look amazing. I can%26#39;t wait to see it in person. I have a feeling I won%26#39;t want to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment