Monday, April 23, 2012

Irvington Anyone?

We%26#39;ve decided to stay in Irvington in May. Is this a good central area to see Portland? Any must do%26#39;s around here? We%26#39;ll only be there for a few days but any suggestions or information would be helpful. thanks=)



Irvington Anyone?


Curious how you picked this neighbourhood? Would not be on my list of Top 10 areas to stay in . . .



Irvington Anyone?


Well, it%26#39;s a vrbo rental %26amp; it looks like a good neighborhood. It wouldn%26#39;t even be in your top 10?!?!! Wow. I can%26#39;t change it now, so I%26#39;ll deal with wherever it is. It looks like I can walk to Lloyd Centre. I%26#39;ll have my car but from what I%26#39;ve read it seems to be easily accessible by the ';Maxx';, so I thought it might be nice to be able to ditch my car for a while as well. Anyone have anything constructive about the neighborhood for me? You know, where to eat, what to see, how easy it%26#39;ll be to get from here to downtown, whether I should use my car or not?




It%26#39;s a neighborhood full of great craftsman houses, but not necessarily as walkable as other places. There%26#39;s a nice strip of shops and restaurants on Broadway. And there%26#39;s Alameda Brewhouse on Fremont in the Beaumont district. Some people swear by Perry%26#39;s on Fremont but I%26#39;ve never been.




There%26#39;s nothing wrong with the Irvington; it%26#39;s one of the nicer close-in neighborhoods in the city. Beautiful older homes on tree-lined streets. But, for someone visiting, it%26#39;s not the most convenient to the city center. Maybe that%26#39;s what half-Brit is thinking. There%26#39;s bus service, and you can catch MAX from a few blocks south of Lloyd Center, but I%26#39;m guessing you%26#39;ll mostly want to drive. No ';must do%26#39;s'; in the immediate area.




I know it%26#39;s mostly residential, so I was wondering where a hotel was! Also, was not sure it%26#39;s close enough to walk to a MAX station and I hate driving/parking in downtown Portland. There is a Max station a couple of long blocks from the Lloyd Center mall itself. Do use reasonable caution in that area at night. (And that *is* a constructive statement.)




The Irvington neighborhood is absolutely fantastic! Beautiful old homes on tree-lined streets. This is a choice place to live. I





t is walkable to MAX but the walk could be fairly long depending on where in Irvington. As for walking at night, you should be fine but I would avoid walking through the Lloyd Center Park as there are some undesirable people that hang out there. You could also hop directly on the Tri-met bus and be downtown within minutes.





If you provide cross streets it would be helpful.





As someone else pointed out, it is close to Broadway, which has great restaurants and bars going all the way up to 30th.




The Irvington neighborhood is very nice. As others have said, tree lined streets, many quiet B%26amp;B%26#39;s in the area.





There are many restaurants along Broadway as well as access, via bus to downtown and beyond. If you are renting a car, the city is your oyster. If you like wine, and are in town on a Friday night, check out Great Wine Buys on 15th or 16th and Broadway, or venture up to 34th %26amp; Broadway to Gem Wine Cellar. Then on to dinner at such places as Sweet Basil Thai Cuisine (30th %26amp; Broadway); Milo%26#39;s on 13th %26amp; Broadway; Pastini on 13th or 14th and Broadway (a local chain of Italian eateries); and dare I suggest a chain, Newport Seafood Grille on 12th %26amp; Broadway.





I think that you will be very happy with the neighborhood. While I love the amenities of a great hotel, I also love the charm of B%26amp;B%26#39;s and rental homes in great areas.




%26lt;%26lt;As for walking at night, you should be fine but I would avoid walking through the Lloyd Center Park as there are some undesirable people that hang out there.%26gt;%26gt;





I totally agree! The park across from Lloyd Center is not a place to be later in the evening, nor is Lloyd Center (the shopping mall) itself. If you are on NE Broadway, you%26#39;ll be fine. Just avoid anything on NE Multnomah Street after dark.




Oh, thanks for the great advice everyone=)



Mom is pretty mellow, so I%26#39;m assuming it%26#39;ll be a lot of early mornings, busy days and absolutely no walking through undesirable parks @ night. Don%26#39;t have to worry about that.





Sounds like I%26#39;ll just be better off driving around. It%26#39;s supposed to be 10 min into downtown, so that%26#39;s fine.





Any experiences with the Cinco de Mayo @ Tom McCall Park? It%26#39;s one of the things we thought we might check out. I wish we could be there for the Saturday Market, we%26#39;ll go to the Wednesday instead. Is it worth checking out? I%26#39;d love to find art/treasures to bring home.





PDXWindJammer~ we%26#39;ll be staying near 10th %26amp; Broadway.




If the weather%26#39;s decent, Cinco De Mayo might be fun for an hour or two. It%26#39;s a festive atmosphere, with a few carnival rides, lots of food stands, entertainment, etc. Did you check out the website: http://www.cincodemayo.org/ ? I%26#39;m surprised that, at this late date they haven%26#39;t yet posted a list of vendors. Not sure what that means...





Are you asking about the Portland Farmers%26#39; Market on Wednesday? I%26#39;ve only been to the one on Saturday, which is great. But, it%26#39;s pretty much all food related, and nothing like that Saturday Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment