Monday, April 23, 2012

Several Questions about Early June Visit

I am planning a visit to Crater Lake in June. I already know that I shouldn%26#39;t expect the North entrance or Rim Drive to be open yet. Question #1- What is the best route to take coming from Portland area to get to the south entrance? And how long of a trip is it? Question #2- Is it possible to hike to the Pinnicles and/or the trail that goes down to the bottom access to the lake even though rim drive won%26#39;t be open for traffic? Or are those trailheads only accessible by car? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Several Questions about Early June Visit

#1 - I might suggest Hwy 26 to Madras, then south on Hwy 97 to Chiloquin, then back up on Hwy 162. About 4-4.5 hours I think.

Or ... Zip south on I-5, then cut over south of Eugene on Hwy 58, then south on Hwy 97. About the same time, I think.

#2 - As far as I know, you probably will not be able to drive to the parking lot at the boat ride, and it%26#39;s quite a way around the rim, too far to hike. I seem to remember the Pinnacles is a very long way, but others should have more info for you.

But maybe you%26#39;ll get lucky and the snow will melt early this year!

Several Questions about Early June Visit

Since there are so many ';ifs'; to this trip and its timing, and that you have spent money to come a long way, and have many hours of driving, RT, etc., have you considered the many other dramatic places in the Pacific NW? As they say, come another time, CL will still be there...

  • learn and study bible
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment