Monday, April 16, 2012

Restaurants on/off Hawthorne

Hello,



I am looking for restaurant and cafe recommendations for lunch and/or dinner, around the Hawthorne shopping area. We love sushi, thai, and fresh, local NW cuisine.





Thanks!



Restaurants on/off Hawthorne


I%26#39;m not often in the area for lunch, but for dinner, Sel Gris, Castagna, and Three Doors Down are all great. Next to Castagna is Cafe Castagna, which is open for lunch, and dishes come from the same kitchen. So, I expect that it would be good too. One hitch; only Three Doors Down is really in the ';shopping area';. But Sel Gris and Castagna aren%26#39;t too far to walk.



Restaurants on/off Hawthorne


I%26#39;ve lived/worked on Hawthorne for almost 10 years now. As a member of the Hawthorne Boulevard Business Association, I shall kindly direct you to this website:



http://thinkhawthorne.com/explore/



Is this for a weekend, a weekday, or both? Because Belly Timber%26#39;s brunch is something to behold:



bellytimberrestaurant.com/pb/wp_4437f0bf/ima鈥?/a>



There are only five thai restaurants on the boulevard proper that I can think of:



thinkhawthorne.com/explore/鈥?/a>



I love Castagna Cafe but refuse to go to Sel Gris. Lunch at Castagna is Tue-Sat. Sel Gris has no lunch hours. You might be tempted to walk into La Palapa next to Castagna because you%26#39;ll see them making tortillas in the window. I personally find their food bland and underseasoned.



As for sushi, the newly-remodeled Fred Meyer on Hawthorne has a conveyor belt--or so I hear. I%26#39;m sure you can find better sushi downtown.




Recommendations (working East to West):





Iorio



Lucky Lab



Jarra%26#39;s



Castagna (note there is a formal restaurant as well as a bistro next door)





%26lt;Start of shopping district





Pho Van



Oasis Cafe (pizza)



Evoe



Mio Sushi





%26lt;End of shopping district





Hawthorne Fish House



Por Que No?



Sapphire Hotel




aaargh. note above should read ';(. . West to East)';




Sel Gris is my favorite in this area. Incredible chef.




Also, check out My Thai on 35th and Hawthorne. Really good food, wonderful hosts. They are closed on Wednesdays.





Speaking of Hawthorne, I am so sad to see the Cats Meow close. I loved that store!





And yes, Fred Meyer Hawthorne does have a sushi conveyor. I have not tried it, so I cannot tell anyone if it is good or not. I have noticed a lot of people seated at it on my weekly visits to the Wine Dept.




I don%26#39;t hear much about the Bread %26amp; Ink Cafe anymore. Is it still there? Not kept up with the competition? Or what?




Thanks for all the replies!

No comments:

Post a Comment