Monday, April 16, 2012

Newport Marathon advice

Hi,



I%26#39;m running the Newport Marathon on 5/30 and am hoping I can get a little advice for our trip. I%26#39;ll be arriving from Denver on 5/28 at 7:30pm. My husband and I will be traveling with my parents and I%26#39;d like advice/tips on a few topics. Quick background-we%26#39;re in our mid-30s and parents are in mid-50s. Like good veggie restaurants, wine, breweries, gardens, hiking, museums etc. After the race I%26#39;m all about having some fun and enjoying lots of tasty wine and food.





1. Comfortable hotel for one night in the Portland area--need a quite location and comfy bed. If I was really particular I%26#39;d love an Italian restaurant nearby to get my carb fix in too. Love to stay under $130/night.



2. After three nights (Fri-Sun) in Newport we are thinking about driving down to Coos Bay. Should we stay the night or continue on to Crater Lake area?



3. Also thinking about visiting the Bend area-how many nights and best things to see?



4. Next up to the Columbia River Gorge...possibly thinking to head back to Portland as a base. Then include wine country trips. Or should we stay around wine country to relax and celebrate in style??





We%26#39;ll definitely check out the Rose %26amp; Japanese Gardens while in Portland and I%26#39;m also hoping to get my fix of good veggie/vegan restaurants.





Total trip is 9 nights/8 days. Any add%26#39;l suggestions are welcomed.



Newport Marathon advice


Coos Bay is only about 2.5 hours south of Newport. If you want to visit Crater Lake, be aware that it is still snowbound! The north entrance/exit is not open, so you must use Hwy 62 from Medford area. You cannot get to Bend easily from CL, since you can%26#39;t leave to the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment