Monday, April 23, 2012

Wineries

My wife and I will be visiting Oregon during memorial day weekend. Taking a day to travel from Keizer to Seaside and planning on taking a tour of the wine country along the way. Any suggestions on which wineries to visit? Any thoughts would be appricated. Thanks!!



Wineries


Memorial Day weekend is one of the two biggest during the year in Oregon wine country, so you picked a good time to visit. Lots of usually taste-by-appointment-only wineries will be opening their doors. But, probably not before 11:00am, or even noon, which means you won%26#39;t have much time at the coast.





Those logistics aside, I suggest you get on hwy 99W, with possible stops at Bethel Heights, Cristom, or Witness Tree along the way. Heading towards McMinnville, Amity Vineyards would be a good stop, then in McMinnville, Panther Creek and/or Westrey. From there, take hwy 47 through Carlton and Forest Grove to hwy 26. You could spend an entire day in Carlton alone.... something like 10 tasting rooms in 2-3 blocks. Personal favorites are Scott Paul, Seven of Hearts, Barbara Thomas, and as you%26#39;re leaving town, Cana%26#39;s Feast.





Any particular reason why Seaside instead of Cannon Beach?



Wineries


Thanks for the suggestions, it is appreciated!! Chose Seaside based upon a recommendation by my mom who lives in Keizer, and my wife and I have never really travelled extensively. is canon beach preferable to seaside?




Depends on what you%26#39;re looking for. Cannon Beach is smaller, has more character and charm, nicer beach with more scenic surroundings. But, the knock on it is that it%26#39;s overly yuppified with expensive galleries and restaurants, and often crowded, which will almost certainly be the case over Memorial Day weekend.





Seaside is older, more kitschy-touristy, its main street lined mostly with arcades and carnival-like games and rides, shops selling saltwater taffy, and quick-service restaurants. The beach is nice, though not as scenic as at Cannon Beach.





Can you tell I have a bias? ;-)




I am biased too!! I don%26#39;t generally care for Seaside either, and I have children, whom the town seems to be catered to. That being said, I know people that go there and love it.





Personally (and I am fully prepared to get flamed for this), Cannon Beach is too crowded for me. I personally prefer the towns of Oceanside and Pacific City on the northern part of the coast.





That being said, I always end up in Newport because my in-laws live nearby and DH insists on visiting his parents and grandparents on a regular basis. Go figure!! LOL!




Both Cannon Beach and Seaside are crowded, but mistletoe has described them well.



An alternative tiny town might be Manzanita or Gearhart. Or the small bedroom community of Arch Cape.



Do book *right now* ASAP regardless of which town if you are planning to stay overnight!




Hello and welcome, we love spending time in Seaside, we have a beach cottage there so let me know if you have any specific questions about the area. Do you have a place to stay yet? www.seasideor.com is a nice website for the area. :)




Are you up here yet for your few weeks, syrahgirl? Is it getting warm in Fresno yet?




%26lt;%26lt;Are you up here yet for your few weeks, syrahgirl? Is it getting warm in Fresno yet?%26gt;%26gt;





Even better question, will you be staying in your beach cottage in Seaside or in a hotel, as usual? I still do not understand that one.




Syrah....are you offering them a place to crash?? I would love to see a trip review of your cottage.




Back on track.....





I didn%26#39;t understand that sundevil is planning to spend a night at the coast. Is that right? If so, you should be making reservations ASAP, and I agree that Manzanita, Gearhart, or Arch Cape (or Oceanside) would be good choices, though options are limited in each. But, if it%26#39;s just a day trip, I%26#39;d pick Cannon Beach (or Seaside), so you%26#39;ll have something to do if the weather%26#39;s lousy, or if you tire of the beach.





Back off track.....





Since specific Seaside advice is being offered, I%26#39;d sure like to know where to find the best corn dog. Seriously!


  • lip blush
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment