Tuesday, April 24, 2012

3/4 day in Portland for a

I am heading out to Portland for a national conference and have about 3/4 of Saturday, April 18 to enjoy the city. I did some research and have my day planned out, but was wondering if there are any additional must dos I%26#39;m missing. I do not have a car, consider myself a bit of a foodie and am a first timer to Portland.





- Arrive at airport at 11 a.m. Take light rail to the Hilton Exec. downtown, drop off bags there.



- Go directly to the Saturday Market. Shop, eat, enjoy.



- Have scheduled a culinary tour for Portland at 2:00. You travel around the Pearl District and try little bites and sips at various breweries, wineries and restaurants with focus on Portland-centric foods. It%26#39;ll probably go for about 3.5 hours or so.



- Back to hotel to check in



- Coffee and book shopping at Powell%26#39;s book



- Dinner at the Peruvian restaurant Andina





I%26#39;m a bit sad that I won%26#39;t be able to enjoy the nature side of Portland, with all the flowers/gardens in bloom and the mountains so nearby, but I just don%26#39;t think I have time on Saturday.





Additional suggestions for any sort of winery/tasting room downtown OR additional restaurant suggestions are welcome. Other than Saturday, the remainder of my days there (I%26#39;m there till Tuesday) will be spent at the conference pretty much all day, every day, but it would be great to have options of things to do in my ';back pocket'; in case I get any down time.





Thanks!



3/4 day in Portland for a


Hi KJ!



Just a thought- even though you feel that you won%26#39;t have time for ';nature';, as a ';back pocket'; option do keep Washington Park in mind. Its a huge park on the west side of town that is easily accessible by the light rail (MAX) line. If you are lucky and get a clear day, there are stunning views of the mountains from there. The park contains several ';attractions'; including the Rose Test Garden (free), the Japanese Garden (amazing...small entry fee), the zoo and the Children%26#39;s Museum.



Glad that Powell%26#39;s is on your list- it%26#39;s amazing. Plan lots of time, you%26#39;ll need it!!



3/4 day in Portland for a


Thanks! That%26#39;s helpful to know that the park is accessible via light rail! I%26#39;ll certainly keep that at the top of my ';to do if I have time'; list.




KJ-



I forgot to add before that you might enjoy browsing in the Made In Oregon store when downtown, as it offers lots of food items that are Oregon made and would be difficult to find back in Indy. Also, if you like Saturday Market then you would probably enjoy The Real Mother Goose store which carries art/crafts from local artisans. Both of these have outlets in the airport so you could check them out in their ';smaller version'; there. I especially love Mother Goose, but when I need something really ';different'; I often go to Made In Oregon for their food items.




You will love Andina, I have a review of our time there last summer posted here. Check out Wines on Broadway in downtown Portland. Sounds like a fun time! :)




There are several wineries with tasting rooms in Portland, but without a car, I don%26#39;t know of any that would be convenient for you. Wines on Broadway is just one of many shops in town that also do tasting.





As a ';foodie';, you might prefer Portland Farmers Market to Saturday Market: http://www.portlandfarmersmarket.org/ . It%26#39;s rated one of the best in the country. If you stick with the Saturday Market plan, hold off until your culinary tour before eating much. Nothing at Saturday Market%26#39;s food stands is particularly memorable (at least in a good way).




Grochau Cellars is in NW Portland, and is easily walkable from the 21/23rd street area. Excellent wines!




Thank you for the winery suggestions. I would SOOO love to go to the farmer%26#39;s market instead... however, I just know I%26#39;ll be depressed that I can%26#39;t buy as many fruits and veggies as I%26#39;d like. Seriously. It would just make me frustrated. Thanks for the heads up about the food vendors at the Saturday market, however- I%26#39;m kinda bummed to hear they%26#39;re less than memorable. Any suggestions on where to grab a quick (and tasty) lunch around the Saturday market anywhere?




Best bets near Saturday market for lunch:



Bijou Cafe - corner SW 3rd/Pine



Mother%26#39;s Bistro - corner SW 2nd/Stark





Both will feed you well, though %26#39;quick%26#39; may be relative...




We have had breakfast at Bijou Cafe, great place! :)




One of the reasons I suggested Portland Farmers Market is that the ';quick bites'; there are much more tasty than at Saturday Market%26#39;s food stands. It fits better with your schedule too, given you%26#39;ll likely have only two hours between dropping your bags at the Hilton, and the start of the culinary tour. You can easily do Farmers Market in an hour. Not so with Saturday Market, especially if you%26#39;re wanting to fit lunch in somewhere (though, I agree, lunch at Mother%26#39;s would be nice).

No comments:

Post a Comment