Thursday, April 26, 2012

Multnomah Falls

Is it wheelchair accessible? Does it have a concrete path going to it? I know this sounds weird but this is something my kids and I would love to do but my FIL cannot unless it is accessible. Maybe there is a museum he could look at while we hike? On day 3, 1st Thursday in June, of our trip we will be taking the loop around Mt.Hood. We plan on stopping at most of the sights Multnomah, Cascades, and etc? and then end up on Mt.Hood eating at the Lodge there. All this in one day, sure hope it is doable. Thanks again for all your help!



Multnomah Falls


There is a paved path that leads from the parking lot to the base of the falls. There is a small gift shop that might be a little tight for a wheelchair, but there is also a restaurant where I%26#39;m sure he could enjoy a cup of coffee or something. It was not open when we were there, so I can%26#39;t vouch for accessibiltiy, but since this is a historic site, I suspect that those considerations have been addressed. You could check the web to find out for sure.



Multnomah Falls


Curiosity piqued, I checked the website; www.multnomahfalls.com , and there is accessibility to the restaurant via elevator. There is also an interpretive center which appears to be well able to accommodate a wheelchair. Contact information for both the restaurant and the center is on the site so you can call with specific questions.




Footloose is right. He will be fine:) The restaurant has two areas, one near the big fireplace and the other sort of a room full of glass. If he sits in either the glass room or near the window in the fireplace room, he will be able to look right out to the falls. Not a bad place to hang out, IMO.




Thank you very much. I did not even think about them having their own website, I just thought it was a park on the side of the road or something. Thanks again. BTW, since I underestimated Multnomah, do you know anything about Cascades? I will see if they have a website.




The Cascades are a range of mountains that run from British Columbia in the north through West Central Washington and Oregon, where they become the Sierra Nevada Mountains. They include the snow-capped mountains peaks, of Mt. Baker, Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Hood, Mt. Jefferson, the Three Sisters, Mt. McLoughlin, Mt. Shasta, Mt. Whitney, etc.





Did you mean perhaps, Cascade Locks? That is a town just east of Multnomah Falls, below Bonneville Dam and west of Hood River.





All of these areas, including Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood are handicap accessible. Be sure to visit Bonneville Dam, the fish ladders, fish counting station, and the sturgeon ponds.





And yes, the loop is quite doable in one day, especially since you won%26#39;t be doing any extended hiking.




I meant Cascade Locks but is there anything to do there? I have googled and nothing seems to pop out at me. Maybe I should do the Bonneville Dam and area instead? I have enjoyed all the replies, thank you!




Oops, I just realized that Bonneville Dam is in Cascade Locks but on my original look-see I did not find it. Sorry...




Regarding Cascade Locks....the dam is located there and its a pretty interesting venue. I love to recommend the sternwheeler cruise that departs from Cascade Locks because our family enjoyed it so much last summer. Given that you are interested in making this area a day trip, it may be out of your realm of possiblity, but they do offer several options and one of them is a 2-hour trip that you might be able to incorporate.



We took the long trip which included actually going through the lock so I would hate to try to say what the shorter trip includes, but www.portlandspirit.com is site for the vendor- just click on the sternwheeler cruise tab for specifics.



I%26#39;m not sure about the accessibility issues, but you could call them if the information is readily available on the site.




Keep in mind that Bonneville Dam is a separate exit than the town of Cascade Locks. Everything is very accessible by wheelchair. They even have a ramp down to the main sturgeon viewing pond. The sturgeon ponds are actually at the fish hatchery next to the dam. Make sure to take plety of quarters to feed the trout.

No comments:

Post a Comment