Friday, April 27, 2012

Best route for traveling from Hood River to Olympic NatlPark

We are planning a trip to Oregon and Washington. The first part of our trip, we will be staying in Bend/Sun River and plan to go to Crater Lake within that time. Then, the next part of our trip is at Olympic National Park. We were trying to figure out the best route to take from Bend to Olympic National Park. At the Olympic National Park area, we are staying in Port Angeles. We were thinking that we would leave Bend and drive to the Columbia River Gorge area where we would spend the day. Then after that, drive some more before finding a place for the night, possibly north of Portland. The following day we would drive onto Olympic. Any suggestions??

Best route for traveling from Hood River to Olympic NatlPark

In Centralia, the McMenamins hotel there (The Olympic Club Hotel) is a fun place for a night. Check their website and see if it interests you. I love the McMenamin hotels as they are so unique, but very well kept. DD and I stayed at the Olympic Club this fall and for a night on the road, it was perfect.

Best route for traveling from Hood River to Olympic NatlPark

Centraila and Chehalis are your best bets as far as towns. This is right at the jumping off point at I-5 if you want to go on Hwy 12 to Olympic NP-if you are going the western way around. After saying that I actually prefer to travel up the east side of the thumb- the scenery is more picturesque in my opinion.


I don%26#39;t know about the rooms at the Olympic Club Hotel in Centralia, and I%26#39;ve heard others rave about it. But, personally, I found the restaurant and bar area really dark and dreary. Reminded me of an old western bar. But maybe that%26#39;s just me.

However, there aren%26#39;t a great number of choices for hotels in the Centralia/Chehalis area.

Since you will be coming from Bend and may want to spend a little extra time in the Columbia Gorge area touring the waterfalls and visiting Bonneville Dam, I would suggest stopping at Kelso/Longview. There are several reasonably decent hotels just off I-5 next to the Three Rivers Mall (which is really pathetic) and several fast food and other restaurants close by. It%26#39;s about an hour south of the Chehalis/Centralia area.

It%26#39;s an easy drive to Port Angeles. I-5 to Olympia, Hwy 101 to Shelton and north on the east side of Olympic National Park.


Thanks for your advice. I am going to look into it.


kitters--We didn%26#39;t see much of the other areas of the Olympic Club since DD is a minor. Check in is at the bar, so I just saw that small area of it. The rooms really vary in size. We had the most basic room, with a bunk bed, lol. Perfect for us for that night. The room was plenty big for two of us though. Not dark and dreary, but definitely had the charm of yesteryear, if that makes any sense. We had a couple chairs and table in the room, as well as a small mirror and sink. There were plenty of bathrooms, and always spotlessly clean and always available. We paid $40 a night. I wouldn%26#39;t stay there for several nights, as there just isn%26#39;t that much of interest to me right there, but for a night on the road it was perfect and much better than a Motel 6 type of place.

  • Which duvet cover should i get
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment