Friday, April 27, 2012

Oregon Coast

Posted on: 3:02 pm, today Report inappropriate post





We are an older couple, 65 and 69, on a fixed income, no interest in shopping, can%26#39;t afford fine dining, or hotels over $100. Very interested in seeing the Oregon Coast. I have read the threads here trying to gleen the best until my eyeballs are bleeding.



Here is what I have come up with so far: September (no set dates)



1.Fly from Charlotte, N.C. to P.D.X., rent car and drive to Troutdale stay at Best Western.



2. Columbia River ';Old Highway'; to The Dalles. Return to Troutdale Best Western Via I-84.



3.Drive to coast via Route 26, visit Ecola State Park, stay Seaside



4. Drive toward Newport, visit Tillamook cheese factory. Take three capes drive, stop at Cape Lookout and Kiwanda. Stay at Econo Lodge in Newport.



5. Stay Newport Econo Lodge, rest, visit Aquarium, sightsee.



6. Drive to Coos Bay stay at The Edgewater Inn. Visit Cape Arago.



7. Drive the ';Incredible'; Coast to Crescent City CA. Stay at Best Western Northwoods Inn.



8. Sightsee: Redwoods National Park. Stay B.W. Northwoods.



9. Drive to Grants Pass via Route 199 to I-5. At Wolf Creek exit and visit town of Golden, return to I-5 to Salem Stay(?) 300 miles (?)



10. Visit State Capitol, see Salem, Visit Silver Falls State Park 4-6 hours, retrun to PDX La Quinta INN.



11. ?? Fly or See ??????



Have I missed anything wonderful on the coast?



Have I allowed enough time for a leisurly trip?



Is there public transportation from the airport to the Japanese Gardens in downtown Portland? I would like to see them but do not want to drive in the city.



I appreciate any and all replies and suggestions.



Oregon Coast


A few thoughts...





The hotels in Troutdale are clustered, sort of like a truck stop area. I don%26#39;t know if you have looked at the Edgefield or not, but it is in your price range and is a great place. Their website is www.mcmenamin.com, then look under hotels, at the Edgefield. It would be my choice over the other hotels in the area, and it fits your budget. Plus you can have meals on site, which are not expensive and are good.





While out in the gorge area, you don%26#39;t need to go all the way out to the Dalles. After the scenic highway and all that has to offer, go to Hood River, explore the town, watch the windsurfers, then head back. You might want to take the old highway again, just because it is so pretty.





When you hit Ecola State Park, don%26#39;t miss Haystack Rock, also in Cannon Beach. If you go at low tide, be sure to check out the tide pools. Many times there are docents there to share their knowledge on all the sea life.





Silver Falls State Park is great. I was born and raised in Salem, so have spent a lot of time there. As far as staying in Salem...eh...not really exciting, but after a long day of driving and doing the falls, it would be a fine place to lay your head for a night.





Yes, you can take MAX up to the zoo, which is next to the Japanese Gardens. You said you are not wanting to drive in the city, but don%26#39;t worry about that. Portland is really easy to get around and very compact.



Oregon Coast


Hey you are not older. just senior. we are 68 and 65.





Pretty good agenda. You will have no trouble filling a day in Newport. And Econo-Lodge is ok. i spent several nights there, was working on my house in area. but when wife goes we stay at Valu-Inn so she can walk beach in morn. costs a bit more.





However I would not stay in Coos Bay. Last Sept we stayed in Bandon at Bandon Inn for well under $100 though wife helped with some negotiations when we made reservation The first team comes out when we talk price. Bandon a great place to spend an evening and morning. Coos Bay a place to sleep.





But get early start when you leave Newport much to see southbound. Yachats to Florence some of best coast there is and then the Dunes are pretty good too south of Florence





There is public transport to Japanese Gardens, but not simple.. Light Rail (MAX) goes from airport downtown, then you need to transfer to right bus. Tri-met has pretty good website to find out which bus. Since you asked question assume you have experience learning public transport in new cities. we sure have. and you should not have trouble just need to check it out.





Phil in oreg




I don%26#39;t want to throw a wrench in the works, but I%26#39;m wondering why you haven%26#39;t planned a stop at Crater Lake. Seems a natural fit into this itinerary.




Thank you so much Mtngrl and Phil for the input. The Edgefield, what a beautiful place, thank you for the link. I had though Troutedale since it seemed easy from the airport. Our flight will not get in until 8 pm and that will be a 4 hour time change (midnight) for us.



Have I allowed enough time for the coast?



Perhaps I should stay somewhere south of Salem on I-5 then drive into the city to see the capitol, then to Silver Falls Park?



No, I am not familiar with public transportation, or travel in cities.



We live so far back in the sticks we get the grand old opery on Sunday afternoon.



Neither am I very familiar with the computer, as this was my first post I hope I have followed the correct procedure to reply to you.



Thank you so much,



krazimomi




Hi Mistletoe, I saw Crater Lake on the map, read the pages, couldn%26#39;t figure out how to get there from Grant%26#39;s Pass, the amount of time to allow, nor an affordable place to stay.



Suggestions?



I fit my name :)



krazimomi




mistletoe is right, you should try to include Crater Lake.





The time difference is only 3 hours, so not quite as bad as you were thinking:) Flying east to west is much easier on your body than the other way, so don%26#39;t worry. The Edgefield is very close to the hotel cluster, but it feels like a world away.





As far as staying in Salem, I can%26#39;t help much with hotels. There are a few that are right where I-5 and HWY 22 intersect (where you would veer off to go to Silver Falls). I have not stayed at those, so I can%26#39;t personally vouch for them, but the location is fine. I would avoid anything near the Lancaster/North end of Salem. If you stay in the area I mention, it is a very short drive in to the Capitol also.




Maybe Chinese Garden better for you within a block or two of light rail. no transfer needed. quite different though not as many growing garden things. sure La Quinta can help you





Do you like capitols?. we do try to visit all we can if within reasonable distance. probably have been to half of them Oregon has a good one.





Anyway Salem ok place to stay, just not that great but neither is anything south for tourist type things.





Consider visiting Oregon Gardens near Silverton and Silver Creek Falls.




Phirl,



Yes, I try to visit the capitol building of each state I pass through, drives my husband nuts, but then everything does except golf. No, please don%26#39;t suggest golf courses in Oregon. He golfs three days a week and this is MY trip :).



I may trade that last Portland day for Crater Lake. A suggestion from Mistletoe, if I can re-figure the itinerary to include it. Thank you for telling me about the gardens near Silverton.



krazimomi




Grand Old Opry. oh yes. we have been to Nashville twice. Once to see C%26amp;W HOF and agian to see new C%26amp;W HOF





I was disappointed in first one too much Elvis, He is a favorite of mine but he was really pop They did a great job on new one showcasing the true C%26amp;W stars. And we did get to Opry live. what a thrill for me. and wife enjoyed it too. Had seat real close to front.





Think Lefty Frizell first C%26amp;W star I ever saw live, in Newport, but maybe it was Maddox Brothers and Rose.





And we have been to Branson. One of my favorites shook my hand, Janie Fricke. and does Mickey Gilley ever put on a great show, yes





Though my favorite live show of all was Porter Waggoner and Dolly Parton when he was first billed. They were a great pair.





Not all of this happened on oregon Coast Though did see Charley Pride and Eddie Rabbit there




I saw Charlie Pride at the WV state fair several years ago, he had a great show. Saw George Jones there last year but his voice is failing and he forgets the lyrics. I drive to Cincinatti once a year to the music hall for the opera. I love all different music from Bluegrass to opera. I met Jack Green and Jeanie Sealy while working in a bar years ago when she had the hit ';Can I Sleep In Your Arms Tonight Mister.'; They were both so nice, drank a lot too :). Jack Greene had a very nice voice but not many hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment