Friday, April 27, 2012

Please help me with my dining choices in Portland

We will be in Portland in two weeks(Thu-Sun) and will be staying at Hotel Nines. I have reserarched for a while and need your help with my choices. I need two lunches, two nice dinners, one casual dinner and two brunches. What do you think of this:





Ten-01 - Lunch or nice dinner, although I have read that the chef is leaving at the end of the month(what a luck)



Bluehour - Lunch or brunch



Fenouil - Brunch



Sel Gris - Nice dinner, how far a cab ride is it from Nines?



Nicholas restaurant for casual lunch or dinner



Beast - Brunch



I also need one breakfast. I was thinking of Ken%26#39;s bakery for Fri.



For coffee I was thinking of Coffeehouse Northwest and Stumptown.



Chocolate - Sahagun and maybe Cocoa



French pastry - Pix, although, I have read some mix reviews. Any others?



Gelato - Is Mio any good? if not looking for good gelato or ice cream with unique flavors





I also read about Beast for dinner(don%26#39;t like communal at that price point), Le Pigeon( the menu seemed very basic),Paley%26#39;s(menu items were not creative), Toro bravo, Pok Pok, park kitchen, Carlyle and Olea. Please help me, so many choices and not enough time. We are coming from Orange County, CA.



Please help me with my dining choices in Portland


For breakfast, try Mother%26#39;s or Everett Street Bistro. I also like Lorn %26amp; Dotties which is only a block from Mother%26#39;s, but the other two would be my first picks.





Yes, Mio Gelato is very good:)





St. Honore Boulangerie is up on NW Thurman and 23rd or so...very good.



Please help me with my dining choices in Portland


Ten 01, Bluehour, Fenouil are all great choices. We also loved Andina, which is Peruvian food. The Bijou Cafe is a really great place for breakfast, we walked there from the Benson when we stayed there last summer. Olea, Park Kitchen and Paley%26#39;s are all wonderful, you may also want to add Wildwood to your list. You may want to also get up to the Portland City Grill and take in the views, they have great Sushi here. Haven%26#39;t been to Toro Bravo or Le Pigeon, maybe we will try these places when we%26#39;re in Portland soon. Have fun! :)




Dining can be so subjective. For example a poster might say Paley%26#39;s is ';wonderful';, but you have done your research and found that for you, their menu items were not creative . . .



Hopefully some more of the local foodies will chime in here - I am certainly not one of them, LOL.



Have you checked out the Urban Farmer at the Nines, as there is a recently updated thread about it on the Portland forum.








Ten-01 -I would do lunch ... ( I believe more than one chef has left there, they have not had an easy time )





Bluehour - Brunch .. they do a great brunch ! ( Happy Hour is great too)



Paragon is a good Happy Hour later lunch spot too.. calamari is the best.



Everett Street Bistro does a great lunch and brunch .. crab cakes salad .. sighing...





Fenouil - Definitely lunch .. and have dessert lol



I would have dinner here also ..





Coffee/Bakery - Pearl Bakery ... the best .. you will thank me. Promise :) .





Chocolate - Sahagun .. there is rarely a chocolate that I do not love..





French pastry -I agree with Mtngrl, St Honor茅







Mio Gelato is sooooo good. Believe me, I lived around the corner from them ... I think I probably had some almost every day lol.. Have the hazelnut chocolate (Gianduja ) * addictive*





Paley%26#39;s - Can be romantic, good for an occasion or a bit stuffy .. the food is wonderful .. but there are many restaurants with good food too ..





Park Kitchen - a few blocks from where I lived, I was never that impressed.



Carlisle, I liked it , husband hated it :)



Olea.. compared to all the other great places in town, I thought it was just OK.





More_



On NW 23rd - Jo Bar .. good lunch spot while shopping.



downtown on SW Broadway - Typhoon on Broadway .. wonderful Thai .. lunch of dinner.



Seafood- lunch or dinner - SouthPark





I live in South America now and I still don%26#39;t like Peruvian food lol ... so Andina just never grabbed me .. but I guess if you are wanting something really different, you might like it ..









.




Thank you everyone.



Mtngrl- Thanks for Everett Street Bistro and St. Honore Boulangerie. They both look great.





ScarlettO1- Thanks, with so many great restaurants in Portland, I want to make sure my choices are all solid. I have to read more about other places you mentioned. I heard, Ten01 was one of the great places to dine, but since the chef is leaving, I might stick to lunch.





Half-Brit- I have read some mix reviews about Urban Farmer.




I will be in Paris in June, so will have a pastry in your honor:)




Here , if this makes it any easier, I have a lot of the websites on these lists.



tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1394-Portland_鈥?/a>



tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1395-Portland_鈥?/a>



tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1398-Portland_鈥?/a>









Mtngrl, LOL




Sel Gris is one of the favorite spots of those in the food and wine biz. It is very close to downtown, perhaps 15 minutes?





Andina is great. I love the food there...I have eaten there many times for lunch, cocktails and dinner. My suggestion there is to do several apps, rather than a full dinner. It is much more fun to try many dishes. If you love cocktails....the words to use here are Pisco Sour!





Scarlett mentioned Argentina....love that country as well as Chile. Wish we had eateries here doing foods from those countries...although I guess we do in a way....steak (and yes it is the best beef!!!), potatoes (although they love to cube them) vegetables. Seafood from Chile. And of course, Dulce de Leche!!!!!





IF you end up going to Le Pigeon, you will most likely have a wait for your table. If so, I recommend (as will Le Pigeon) that you walk a block north to enjoy a glass of wine and a app at Kir. In fact, if you love apps, you can make a meal there too. The mussels are to die for.




Oops, I forgot...





Speaking of Urban Farmer...the food is really good! I am pretty snobby when it comes to food. It is really good.





As far as the chef and Ten 01....eh....I live here, work in the wine biz, I know the owner of the place and I could not tell you who the chef is.




Sel Gris is great for a nice dinner. Short cab ride from your hotel.





Another great choice is Giorgio%26#39;s in The Pearl. Easy walk from your hotel or streetcar. Could also satisfy your chocolate interests with the incredible dessert menu.





I love Bluehour for lunch. There is a burger to die for.





Another favorite for lunch is Piazza Italia.





Fenouil is also very good, as is Carlyle.





Via Delizia at llth and Marshall in The Pearl has incredible gelato. Easy walking from The Nines.





Coffee is very good almost anywhere. Stumptown, Peets, Coffee People, Starbucks.





Have fun and welcome to Portland!

No comments:

Post a Comment