Tuesday, April 24, 2012

GI Joes closure

Closure of GI Joes not good news for some us who enjoy outdoors and travel.





Not sure where I will find the outdoors maps they carried.





And they had best assortment of car attachments for travel, bike racks, trailer hitches, roof racks, etc





And any time I was looking for outdoor equipment GI Joes was where I started or ended.





REI has some of that but on the high cost end.





Hope someone fills the niche they had. I am going to miss them.





GI Joes closure


I agree, they will be missed. Although they have changed so much even over the last 2 years when they changed hands last. We were there last night and every single parking spot was filled...never seen it like that. Deals not so great right now, but we got things we needed and DH and DS stocked up on fishing stuff. Over the last 2 years, their costs were the same or higher than REI though...so we shopped both and then decided, taking into consideration the rebate from REI. Lots of people in our town worked for GI Joe%26#39;s corporate, so knowing all those families is hard too. I really feel for all of them.



GI Joes closure


I feel bad for the employees and hope they can find work soon.



Granted most of our friends tend to be conservative, but when they changed from ';G.I. Joe%26#39;s'; to just ';Joe%26#39;s';, virtually everybody we know quit shopping there. I suspect they may have lost as much as 25% of their business.



So I feel they brought it on themselves by not keeping the name, as changing it seemed a slap in the face to our military and offended many customers.




half-brit--I heard that same sentiment yesterday afternoon at an event. I personally did not like the name change either. But also that it was sold to a CA company, and that didn%26#39;t go over well with die hard Oregonians. Conversations all over town yesterday seemed to center on GI Joe%26#39;s, and as we have a store in our small town of course it hits close to home. Also that headquarters is only about 3 miles away.




That name change was stupid. Not just the military thing but the history. I remember GI Joes when it was simply a surplus store of GI stuff. had they survived I would have ever used just ';Joes';





If there prices began to match REI no wonder. REI does/did have more consistant competent staff for outdoor stuff.




Sorry to hear about the closure. When I lived in Portland, my office was reasonably near Andy %26amp; Bax with a remarkable rafting business in the basement. Which brings up the cultural difference between that basement and Alder Creek.




As far as I am concerned, once they changed their name they were no longer GI Joes. To be honest, I hadn%26#39;t been in there but once since they changed their name, and it just didn%26#39;t seem like the same place.




My husband always went there to get his fishing license for himself and guests...big lose in many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment