Friday, April 27, 2012

Sights along the way

On our way to camping in the Redwoods we%26#39;ll be spending one night in Gold Beach. Any suggested routes from Van, WA? Anything we should stop and see? It%26#39;s my husband and me and our four year old. We spend lots of time on the north and central coast, so I thought maybe drive down 5 to Eugene and come across to 101.



Sights along the way


I suggest you leave I-5 near Drain abd take OR-38, Nice drive along Umpqua R. You can stop and see the elk. Turn south on 101 at Reedsporr



Sights along the way


If you change your mind and hit the 101 a little earlier, a 4-year-old would have the time of his life picking up rocks at the Yaquina Head Lighthouse in Newport and finding an abundance of purple shore crabs.




Agree with phirl; take Hwy 99 which leaves I-5 at Curtain and goes to Drain. Along Hwy 38 at Elkton there is some sort of butterfly exhibit, but I%26#39;ve never stopped at it:



www.elktoncommunityeducationcenter.org/



And yes, the elk are interesting and there is a nice off road parking area with informational signs. It%26#39;s about 3-4 miles inland from Reedsport.



Your youngster might like to visit the dinosaurs between Port Orford and Gold Beach!




I agree, Hwy 38 is a pretty drive and you will reach the southern OR coast more quickly.





half-Brit, The dinosaur place is really still there? My kids loved it (they are 40 yrs old now).



Come to think of it, we stopped there with the grandkids about 6 or 7 years ago. They had a ball!





We also stopped at an aquarium in Crescent City where they could pet the sharks. Great fun--very small sharks. www.oceanworldonline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment