Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pioneer Square turns 25

Just in case anyone is interested...





oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/04/po鈥?/a>



Pioneer Square turns 25


I wonder if they%26#39;ve changed out any of the original bricks. It%26#39;s been years since I tried to find the ones I bought for my dad and father-in-law.



Pioneer Square turns 25


Wow! Amazing to think that this spot is 25 years old! Scary! Heck I am only 22, yet I remember the day that the square was dedicated....amazing, isn%26#39;t it? ;-)





It is hard to believe! Also hard to believe that the site was once a hotel and then the Meier and Frank parking lot.




I remember staying up all night to watch the implosion live on TV of the old Fred Meyer building that is now Pioneer Place.





Amazing how downtown has changed in our young lifetimes.





I also remember the commercials on TV for the bricks, and taking a field trip through school to go down and specifically see it right after it opened. My teacher that year just happened to be married to one of the architechts that helped design it. So, she was very anxious for us to see it. I also remember playing on the eastside MAX tracks while they were doing the initial construction, long before there were any trains.





Okay...now I feel old.




I remember landing a flying machine at the Swan Island airport. I was wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style of the time, and then I punched president Hoover in the nose for ogling my dame%26#39;s gams.




Oregone: Was Grandpa Simpson there with you?




oregone, is this what you are going to tell the beh beh when he is old enough to understand what Whippersnapper is ?





mahjerle, this might be a good reason for us to visit lol ... I have to go tell my husband :D




%26lt;%26lt;I remember staying up all night to watch the implosion live on TV of the old Fred Meyer building that is now Pioneer Place. %26gt;%26gt;





Now that I do not remember, however it was the Meier %26amp; Frank parking lot, not a Fred Meyer building. LOL!




%26lt;%26lt;I remember landing a flying machine at the Swan Island airport. I was wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style of the time, and then I punched president Hoover in the nose for ogling my dame%26#39;s gams.%26gt;%26gt;





LOL! On the same subject, I hear that beh behs are YUMMY! With tartar sauce or cocktail sauce. :-P




I googled it and I stand corrected...it was called the Corbett Building and Fred Meyer was only located on the first floor.





鈥logspot.com/2009/03/i-am-all-oregon-baby-l鈥?/a>




mahjerle, thanks for posting this ..



I remember when we were researching our move to Portland, I was charmed by the look and idea of Pioneer Square .



I got a kick out of the posts by readers on the article lol...

No comments:

Post a Comment