Friday, April 27, 2012

Weather in May?

I%26#39;m getting pretty excited about my Portland trip (especially after reading about all the amazing craft beers available!). I%26#39;m starting to think through what to pack. What%26#39;s the weather like in May? Do I need my umbrella?



Weather in May?


Well, there are two views on umbrellas here on the forum, LOL! Some say the locals never carry umbrellas, some (me) say that a lot of locals carry umbrellas when they need to walk more than a few hundred yards. When it%26#39;s raining, I%26#39;ve seen many many folks in downtown Portland carrying umbrellas, and many who do not! So it%26#39;s up to you - you won%26#39;t stick out either way :-)



Weather? Well, as you have learned from reading here, it%26#39;s very changeable and unpredictable. Dress in layers and you%26#39;ll be fine, and it certainly won%26#39;t feel cold to you since you%26#39;re from way up north. It may be lovely, warm and dry or it may be cloudy, or raining, or most likely all of the above . . . but no snow. Confident no snow in May!



Weather in May?


Half-brit: Didn%26#39;t we get snow last April? Who knows with this winter. LOL!!





Agree with half-brit, layers, layers, layers.





You can get up in the morning, and it is rainy and cold. By the end of the day it could be sunny and warm.





There is a saying around here, if you don%26#39;t like the weather, wait 5 minutes.




Born and raised here and don%26#39;t own an umbrella:) As mahjerle says, the weather changes so often here, especially in the spring. Layers, including something with a hood, works really well.




We moved to Portland in August and didn%26#39;t need an umbrella. Then winter came and we got caught in a heavy rain and bought this big honkin umbrella at Nordstroms :)





Every time I walked out with it, I felt like I was carrying a sign over my head - Out of Towner !!!





After my friend laughed at me ( and you know who you are) I quit carrying an umbrella and yes, I did feel free lol ....





Bring a rain jacket of some sort and walk under all the awnings and signs.. hunch your head down in your shoulders and look like everyone else.. :O)




Told you there were two views here, Edradour!



When we were in downtown Portland for a play last year it was raining, and nearly everybody who came into the theatre had an umbrella!



Next time we%26#39;re in the city I%26#39;m going to take lots of photos of folks with their umbrellas, LOL ;-)




half-brit--LOL, when we were out celebrating with a group just over a year ago, it started to downpour and we saw someone with an umbrella. Everyone at once said ';tourist';, and then we all looked at each other and laughed since we were all obviously thinking the same thing.




May weather is unpredictable. Could be sunny but a bit brisk. The sky could open up in a heartbeat and dump an amazing amount of water on you. Having lived here for many years I have given up on the ';too cool to keep myslef dry'; thing. I carry an umbrella and use it when the rain comes down.




Ahh...the great Portland debate, to umbrella or not umbrella.





Well, most people I know do not use umbrellas. The ones that do, either have hair issues they are trying to avoid, or just plain have a high disdain for being wet. Either way, I openly mock them. LOL!!!




%26lt;%26lt;Ahh...the great Portland debate, to umbrella or not umbrella.





Well, most people I know do not use umbrellas. The ones that do, either have hair issues they are trying to avoid, or just plain have a high disdain for being wet. Either way, I openly mock them. LOL!!!



%26gt;%26gt;





LOL! Being half Native American, I can say that worrying about my hair getting wet is a moot point....it is long, is is black and it is strait as a board.





I have spent all of my life on the west coast, and most of that in Portland. Umbrellas are for wimps. LOL!!!




Ooh! As a urban planner, I always like it when I discover a City%26#39;s hot-button issue! LOL. As a prairie girl, I will be bringing my umbrella. I bought the teeniest little one in NYC last spring and so rarely get to use it at home. Cheers!





K

No comments:

Post a Comment